tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: Connection pooling issue with MySQLNonTransientConnectionException and Java webapp
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:05:53 GMT

> On 21 Nov 2011, at 16:25, Martin O'Shea<app...@dsl.pipex.com>  wrote:
>
>>  Thanks Terence.
>>
>>  Yes, I have been. Increasing the number of connections in MySQL, the
>>  max_connections parameter, seems to have helped somewhat.
>
> If you are leaking connections it will just delay the problem, even
> make it worse.
>
> Connect VisualVM to Tomcat and monitor the connection pool, (assuming
> you have configured the pool as a Resource).
>
> If it keeps increasing in size, outgrowing the Connector threads, you
> have a leak.

>>  Is there an optimum number of connections that the 'equivalent' Tomcat
>>  maxActive should have?

Hi, Martin-

I agree with Pid that you should ensure you're not leaking connections.
In addition to what he suggested, you can check the MySQL status
variables using the 'show global status' statement from the MySQL
command-line shell.  Interesting variables might include Connections,
Max_used_connections and possibly Threads_connected.

The error message was generated by the MySQL server so, once you're sure
the connections are handled correctly by your software, I would think
max_connections is the right setting to adjust, as you've already been
doing.

-Terence Bandoian