tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: making security constraints configureable
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:19:21 GMT
@Leon : I think I misunderstood your requirement, so disregard my previous response.

@Dan :  an SSH tunnel for HTTP is a (mild) pain, because of the hostname.  To make it
work, you need to add an entry to your local hosts file (I assume a laptop), so that it
resolves "myhost.mycompany.com" as 127.0.0.1, to connect to the local side of the tunnel.

@Leon (trying to do better this time) : I presume that you have a separate Tomcat server
(or instance) for staging. If so, the easiest solution would be to leave the production
one as it is, and your app as it is, and put an apache httpd front-end before only the
staging Tomcat, and only for external accesses. The filtering/authentication would happen

on the front-end, and it would only pass the external requests to the back-end staging
Tomcat if the access conditions are met.
Internal accesses can still go to the staging Tomcat directly, and access the app without

authentication.
That should be easy to set up, easy being a function of how easily you can set up this
Apache front-end with a separate hostname on the Internet, and allow it to proxy-pass
requests to your internal Tomcat staging server.
As you probably do not have a plethora of external staging user-ids, the type of
authentication setup could be very simple (basic auth, file-based). If basic auth is too
insecure, you can run the browser/front-end part over HTTPS, still without changing
anything on Tomcat.