tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sharon Prober (sprober)" <>
Subject Session time out never takes place with ajax
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:56:13 GMT

This is my first post here so wish me luck J

My question is as follow:

I have a web based application running on tomcat 6.0.29

On my main page there is a polling ajax call every 5 seconds.

Clearly this revalidates the session and by that renders the session
timeout feature unusable

I read about two main solutions for this issue

1.       Coding on the server side (filter) a simple snippet that
identifies an ajax call based on a parameter passed and based on that
knows if this is a valid post or a polling hit that should not affect
the session expiration date

2.       Create a stub webapp and redirect the calls of the polling to
that app

So my question is, is there another way for this to be achieved?

Note. I think it might be a cool feature (with the vast ajax use these
days) to have a configuration in the web.xml the excludes various
paths/urls from the session validation checkups

Something like