tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Francis GALIEGUE <>
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:47:57 GMT
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 16:44,  <> wrote:
> I'm reading Tomcat: The Definitive Guide to learn how to separate your instance specific
files from your core installation, i.e. CATALINE_HOME; this separation is for providing a
clean upgrade path as well as running multiple instances of tomcat off of the same installation.
> A lot of the stuff they recommend pulling out into instance specific directories make
sense, such as conf and webapps -- those folders contain the obvious application specific
data. However, the also recommend pulling out all of the folders that contain the jars that
hold runtime classes. To quote directly from their book:
> "Also, some jar files and class files may need to be loaded from the shared, server,
and common directory trees. This means that for multiple instances to work, each Tomcat instance
has to have its own set of these directories; they cannot be shared by two differently configured
Tomcat JVM instances."
> Why would separate instances require their own jar files? Is it not possible to point
two concurrently executing jvm's at the same set of jar files?

It is entirely possible, of course. But you'll have some maintenance
work to do if ever you wish to change the jars for _one_ Tomcat
installation among many.

Francis Galiegue
Ingénieur système
Mob : +33 (0) 683 877 875