tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: .nfsxxx file created when undeploying applications
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:21:38 GMT
On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 1:56 AM, Nicolas Dordet <dordet.n@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Tomcat 5.5.17 run on Solaris. TOMCAT_HOME is on a mounted NFS
> partition. When doing undeploy of an application, some .nfsxx files are
> created et dot no allow suppression of repertories.

> It seems that one process of tomcat still have files opened when trying to
> remove files and that's why .nfsxxx files are created. So in my point of
> view it is a Tomcat bug, all processes should close files before removing it
> on NFS.

Wow, I had a client with the exact same problem and -- oh, wait, it
wasn't Tomcat, it was OC4J  :-)

And IIRC those files are artifacts that appear for reasons having
nothing to do with undeployment; it's only that undeployment fails
and makes those artifacts' presence obvious.

The fix is *not running an app server off an NFS partition*.  Really.

"Doctor, it hurts when I hit myself in the head."

"Don't do that."

YMMV,
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan