tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ziggy <zigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple war files for a single webapp or context
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:55:49 GMT
I have an application that has the following structure

    $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/myapp
                |-css
                    |-myapp.css
                |-js
                    |-myapp.js
                |-forum
                    |-index.jsp
                    |-list.jsp
                    |-users.jsp
                |-Articles
                    |-index.jsp
                    |-ListArticles.jsp
                |-Guestbook
                    |-viewGuestBook.jsp
                    |-AddnewEntry.jsp
                |-WEB-INF
                    |-classes
                        com
                         |-myapp
                            |-forum
                                |-DisplayForum.class
                                |-ListUsers.class
                            |-article
                                |-ArticleList.class
                                |-AddArticle.class
                            |-guestbk
                                |-LoadGuestBook.class
                                |-ProcessGuestBook.class

The application is delivered as a war file (i.e. myapp.war) and is deployed
into the $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps folder. If any of the files change (either the
jsp, css, js or java files) i have to always rebuild the whole war file.
This means i deploy every single file on every release.

I am wondering if there is a way to deploy specific areas of the
application. I am particularly interested if it is possible to separate the
application into multiple war files. i.e. myapp.war, articles.war and
forum.war. I would like to still access the application via the same context
i.e. http://0.0.0.0/myapp even though multiple war files are used.

Using this approach, i will be able to deliver just the module that was
affected by the change. Is this at all possible?

I dont mind having to restart the container after each war file is deployed.

Thanks.