tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Is incoming connection request queue totally ordered?
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:42:00 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Is incoming connection request queue totally ordered?

> As ar as I know, this is something controlled by the TCP/IP
> stack of your host.

And by network topology.

> It is not dependent on Tomcat or Java.

Not necessarily true; Tomcat or the JVM could queue connect requests internally, and might
not maintain order.  (I haven't looked at the code, so I don't know what actually happens.)

> But yes, intuitively, it should always be a FIFO.

I don't think that assumption is warranted.  Given that different packets between a pair of
IP nodes may take wildly different routes over the network, there's no guarantee on the order
of arrival of TCP connection requests from a client to a server.

 - Chuck