tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edward Quick <Edward.Qu...@iggroup.com>
Subject RE: ssl handshake problem
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:17:06 GMT
Hi Andre, thanks for your reply.

I tested this a bit more and did a write up of the problem for anyone who's interested http://www.linuxcrusaders.org/blog/node/45

Obviously it wasn't a java issue not tomcat-related though.

Regards,

Ed.

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: 12 October 2011 16:41
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: ssl handshake problem

Edward Quick wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Chris. No I'm not confident a restart would fix it. Having said
that I haven't seen the ssl handshake problem since yesterday (which might be because the
app hasn't tried the address yet) so waiting to see if it happens again. Unfortunately I don't
have a way to invoke it.

> All my question was really is whether tomcat or java somehow caches an https site's old
ssl certificate for a while and checks its truststore against this instead of the new one?

Maybe something to add : as I understand your original description, this is about a webapp
(running "inside" of Tomcat) which establishes its own SSL connection to some other server.
In such a case, as far as I know Tomcat is not involved at all. It doesn't even know that
the webapp is doing that, and has no reason to be caching anything.

This being said, since both Tomcat and the webapp "run inside" the same JVM, there may be
things cached /by the JVM/.
My knowledge of these things is insufficient to know if such things cached by the JVM
could be shared between Tomcat and the webapp.
Intuitively however, I would tend to think that whatever in-memory structure/object is
used by Tomcat for its own SSL Connector(s), is probably distinct from the in-memory
structure/object used by this webapp to store information related to its own independent
connections.

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee
only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender
by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete the email
and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc) that do not relate to the official business
of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Group Holdings
plc is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number
761 2978 07. Registered Office: Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill, London EC4R 2YA. Authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.