tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Static files not being displayed
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:47:16 GMT

> From:
> André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>
> To:
> Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
> Date:
> 10/28/2011 03:35 PM
> Re: Static files not being displayed
>

> Francis GALIEGUE wrote:

> Linux.
> like

> noticed was
> error

> my
> with it
> all
>>>>
>>> To my knowledge, there is nothing "special" in terms of configuration
>>> required to allow Tomcat to serve static files, if they are in the
> right
>>> place.
>>> (Of course, this applies to a "standard" Tomcat downloaded from
>>> tomcat.apache.org; things may be different for pre-packaged Tomcat's
> from
>>> other sources).
>>>
>>> To get more help, you will need to provide some additional information.
>>> Since you are using firebug, you should be able to see which exact URL
> the
>>> browser requests for one of these static elements.
>>> Give us an example, and also tell us the path of this same element on
> disk.
>>> What may also help is the content of the ./WEB-INF/web.xml file of your
>>> application, and the ./META-INF/context.xml if there is one (all
> comments
>>> and passwords removed).
>>>
>>> And also tell us where you got your Tomcat from, and where you find
> Tomcat's
>>> "server.xml" file.
>>>

>> I'd say, first, configure an AccessLogValve and give the output of it.
>> Tomcat definitely cannot find the requested files and there has to be
>> a reason for it.
>>
> There is certainly a reason, but we don't know yet if it is really Tomcat
> sending the 404
> replies.
> The access log would help, presuming the requests really go to that same
> Tomcat.
> But the firebug data should tell us that.

Rajkumar, this way :

Rajkumar Singh wrote:
 > I am sure all the request are going to the tomcat server since firebug
 > clearly shows the same domain name for the file that are retrieved and
 > those that are not.

(reply at the end, not at the beginning)

Then, in your server.xml, uncomment this section :

          <!--<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
directory="logs"
                 prefix="tomcat_access." suffix=".log" pattern="common"
resolveHosts="false"/>-->

That will make Francis happy. :-)

Then, answer ny other questions :
- what is a request URL for one of these static files, as firebug clearly shows it for the

request line ? (I mean, paste that URL here please)
- what is the path on disk of that same file ?