tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Static files not being displayed
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:08:59 GMT
Rajkumar Singh wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I am using tomcat version 6.0.29. The tomcat is deployed on the OS Linux.
>
> I created a war file named ROOT.war and dropped it under the tomcat
> "webapps" folder. The WAR consists of JSP, JAR, XML and static files like
> images, javascript and CSS.
>
> The tomcat expanded the WAR file properly and I was able to get to the
> dynamic files of my application through the URL. However what I noticed
> was that all the static files are not fetched from the server. I get 404
> error in my firebug (Using firefox as my browser).
>
> And the dynamic files are shown correctly, no problem with that. Even my
> application is making the database call and making right transaction with
> it
>
> Can someone please help me in resolving the issue? Is there any
> configuration that needs to be done on the tomcat server. To let you all
> know, this is the first time I am working on the tomcat 6 version.

To my knowledge, there is nothing "special" in terms of configuration required to allow
Tomcat to serve static files, if they are in the right place.
(Of course, this applies to a "standard" Tomcat downloaded from tomcat.apache.org; things

may be different for pre-packaged Tomcat's from other sources).

To get more help, you will need to provide some additional information.
Since you are using firebug, you should be able to see which exact URL the browser
requests for one of these static elements.
Give us an example, and also tell us the path of this same element on disk.
What may also help is the content of the ./WEB-INF/web.xml file of your application, and
the ./META-INF/context.xml if there is one (all comments and passwords removed).

And also tell us where you got your Tomcat from, and where you find Tomcat's "server.xml"

file.