tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: URI mapping
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 23:39:08 GMT
Mark Eggers wrote:
> [...]
Apache named virtual hosts to Tomcat virtual hosts so that the names match.

> Apache HTTPD
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   ServerName somehost.somewhere.com
>   ServerAlias somehost
> # more stuff
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Tomcat server.xml
> <Host name="ahost" appBase="some-absolute-path">
>   <Alias>somehost.somewhere.com</Alias>
>   <!-- more stuff -->
> </Host>
>
> I don't map the default host (left at localhost). Based on what I've read so far, the
cookies should come back in a sane fashion. I may have to flip the Tomcat <Host> name
attribute and <Alias> element around to have a completely clean installation. This will
make CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/<name> a bit ugly, but I can live with that.

> I should set this up with a test web application with cookies and watch the entire mess
with Firedebug.

..
By the way, if you are using mod_jk, you can use an alternative way to forward requests
from Apache httpd to Tomcat.
Look at the bottom of this page :
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html
the section entitled "Using SetHandler and Environment Variables".

Instead of using "JkMount /tomcat7/* tomcat7", you can use a Location section like

<Location /tomcat7>
   SetHandler jakarta-servlet
   SetEnv JK_WORKER_NAME=tomcat7
   SetEnvIf REQUEST_URI ..(regexp).. no-jk

</Location>

to the same effect.
I personally prefer this kind of configuration over JkMount/JkUnmount, because I find that

it better "fits" within the Apache httpd configuration style, and it is also easier to
figure out at what stage of the Apache cycle these directives take place.
And you can also add more "httpd things" in the <Location> section (e.g., authentication

etc..)