tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat error 404
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:44:07 GMT
Hi.

One thing at a time..

1) When you send XML configuration files, please remove everything that is a comment.
XML files are already being wrapped by the email program, and are difficult to read as it

is. Having plenty of comments in them in addition makes is really a hassle to figure out
what is being used or not.
(Note: an XML comment is anything between a pair of <!-- and --> )

2) one error message below talks about an invalid XML file.
Inside one of the comments (between a leading <!-- and a trailing -->), there is another

pair of -- . That is incorrect and causes the entire file to be rejected/ignored.
Inspect that file carefully, remove the offending --, and try again.

(Note: the extra -- may also be due to a previous bad edit of the file.  It may have been

a <!-- or a --> , where someone tried to comment or de-comment something, and either

removed too much or added not enough.
Remember that everything between a pair of <!-- and --> is a comment (normally ignored),

and inside of such a comment, you cannot have another pair of -- )

Do this carefully, as it may be the basic cause why the whole thing is not working.
Keep a backup of the original, for each file that you start editing.

(Another note: there exist text editors which can show you if a file is correct XML or
not.  For a windows PC, look up Notepad++ in Google)

3) what happens when, in your browser, you enter the URL :

http://your-host-name:8180

?
(replace your-host-name by .. your real host name (or its IP address))