tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT?] control of session timed out with tomcat
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:43:58 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 21/10/2011 11:42, André Warnier wrote:
>> Allright, so how about a half-way house to start with ?
>> Keep the list in some thread-safe table, indexed by session-id, and just
>> scan the table.
>> Updating the corresponding session entry at each request should be cheap.
>>
>> Of course in all this, my basic assumption is that currently, Tomcat
>> keeps session information (including the expiration data) in some
>> location which requires an I/O action to access.
>
> That assumption is incorrect. Which pretty much invalidates the rest of
> the points below.
>
> Again, I *strongly* encourage you to look at the current implementation
> before suggesting improvements.

Mark,

with all due respect and really sincere appreciation for your and other Tomcat committers'

work,

not all people who use Tomcat, and who sometimes try to be helpful in this forum, are Java

developers, or even software developers in general.
And such people also have other things which occupy their time for $ reasons.

What I'm saying, is that what for you or other Tomcat committers may be a simple thing of

2 minutes to look up and understand, or which you do not even need to look up because you

already know it for being immersed in it all day, is not necessarily so simple for others.

In a case like this one for instance, I would not even know where to start, about looking

up the particular piece of code involved here. And when I would find it, which may take me

a couple of hours, I am not sure that I would even understand that code.

This is not out of laziness.  It just so happens that 98% of my time is spent on other
things than Java and Tomcat, and the remaining 2% I like to keep for reading the spirited

correspondence on this list and trying to help on matters where a deep knowledge of Java
and Tomcat code is not essential.

I apologise thus if you feel that I am wasting your time by making unwarranted
suppositions or assumptions.  Even when making improper assumptions and suggestions, it is

on the base of a desire to help.  I can of course stop this at any time, if you feel that

my attempted contributions do more harm than good.