tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AJP Errors. Apache + Tomcat
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:47:54 GMT
Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:56, Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl> wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:42:36 +0200, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
>>
>>> Extract from the script (note that the server port is not randomized,
>>> it should probably be):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Why do you want to go into such deep details, like checking for particular
>> ports to be opened?
>>
>> I have httpd, mod_proxy_ajp and tomcat. mod_proxy will catch running tomcat
>> after some time. It's a matter of proper configuration how long will it
>> take.
>>
>> I guess that we all know tools like Nagios. I prefer to use them to detect
>> problems instead of hacking startup scripts.
>>

> Well, this is not an option for me since my sites display a static
> page as long as long as the webapp is not ready. As the apps I manage
> take 10 seconds to start in the best of scenarios, I need to know that
> tomcat is _really_ ready to serve requests.

I think that the point which Mikolaj is making, is that there must be "retry" options in
mod_proxy_ajp, which could avoid the kind of issue which the OP mentioned in the first place.
I just don't know these options, and they may have additional side effects.  That's why I

originally suggested a simple wait, and Francis suggested a better way, for the specific
issue of the OP.