tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rush <da...@rushtone.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 won't run as Windows service
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 21:46:33 GMT
No, I did not uninstall the old service.  I'd like to be able to keep
multiple Tomcat instances going at once.  Normally I do keep multiple
instances, each installed as a service (on different ports with
different service names), but they've always been of the exact same version.

Would there be an issue with different Tomcat versions installed at once?

On my development box I did get the Tomcat Windows service to run after
moving back to Java 6.

But my last attempt to install and run a Windows service on our staging
machine is now failing to run as a service as well, although I'm not
getting the commons-daemon error like before.  Again I can run it fine
from startup.bat, and can install the service, but starting the service
fails.  Nothing notable in stdout or stderr logs, either.  Event viewer
says "The david2 Tomcat 7 service terminated with service-specific error
0 (0x0)."  Bah.

What exactly is needed for the Tomcat bootstrapping to "find" the Java
install that it's to use?  I thought that setting JAVA_HOME in
setenv.bat was a way, but apparently that's not used when it runs as a
service.  Is it a matter of having JAVA_HOME set at the time that the
service is created, and it "keeps" that value in the service
configuration somehow?  Or does the JAVA_HOME env var have to be set in
the environment of the service that's trying to run, every time it starts?

David