tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Denying IPs using the Valve command in context.xml
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:40:46 GMT
Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 21:08, Christopher Schultz
> <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> - From the docs:
>>
>> "If this attribute [allow] is specified, the remote address MUST match
>> for this request to be accepted".
>>
>> "If this attribute [deny] is specified, the remote address MUST NOT
>> match for this request to be accepted".
>>
>> I don't think Matacher.lookingAt is appropriate for this kind of checking.
>>

> Well, it depends on the definition of "match", I guess. For me, a
> regex matches an input if it matches anywhere in the input! Which is
> pretty much the definition of regex matching, and which is why Java's
> .matches() methods are misnomers...

I am not sure that I follow the depths of the Java implementation of all of this, but
please note that "\.googlebot\.com$" is a regexp /anchored/ at the end of the string.
In other words, I would be surprised (and disappointed) if this did not match the
hostnames "bot1.googlebot.com" and "bot123.bots.googlebot.com" e.g.