tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jjgtx <jeff_g...@yahoo.com>
Subject logging.properties and no classdef error when trying to switch to log4j 6.0.18
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 15:57:31 GMT

I am trying to configure log4j logging, but when I remove the
conf/logging.properties file I get the following error in catalina.out and
nothing more.

Could not find the main class: .  Program will exit.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina

Googling around I found that the logging.properties files missing causes the
problem (multiple posts) but if I dont remove I still see the commons
loggings file output even though I have replace the juli jar files  in both
CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE with the versions downloaded from
bin/extras. Any ideas on what I should check next. I'm guessing it is stil
trying to use commons logging instead of log4j, but not sure why,.