tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: parallel webapp initializa‚Äčtion
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:35:32 GMT
Am Montag, den 10.10.2011, 11:30 +0200 schrieb sasc sasc:
> +1 for this enhancement. With configurable number of threads (default:
> Runtime.getRuntime().availableProcessors())
>
> I would also like to expand/add to this request: Making contexts available
> for request processing continuously as they are started. This in combination
> with parallel startup, would significantly improve startup time and
> perceived availability in many situations.
>
> If you have 9 applications which each takes 1 sec to start, and 1 app that
> takes 5 minutes to start, even with parallel start up, you would still have
> to wait at least 5 minutes before any of the applications are available for
> request processing. If they could be made available continuously, then the 9
> fast apps could start processing requests, even if the 5 min app is still
> initializing.
I believe you will get more problems, than you solve by serving requests
too early. You might happen to serve a request to a context, which is
not initialized, or to a context, which would not be responsible.

I think the proper solution to your problem would be to do
initialization of your webapp in a background thread and put a flag into
your application scope, when initialization is done. Combine that with a
filter, which redirects every incoming request to a waiting page, if the
flag is missing from your application scope.

Regards
 Felix