tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Talha Fazal <tfa...@credera.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Performance Turning.
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:21:35 GMT
Hi Leon,

Please see any answers in CAPS below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:rosenberg.leon@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 9:06 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat Performance Turning.

Hello Talha,

seems that your tomcats are fine.
Question, you mention that the tomcat do not perform, but you don't
tell us how you come to this conclusion except for cpu load. ANSWER: LOOKING INTO THE TOMCAT
ACCESS LOGS, THE RESPONSE TIME (%D) IS HORRIBLE).
What is the difference in response times between weblogic and tomcat? ANSWER: FOR PAGES THAT
WEBLOGIC SERVES IN 500 ms ON AVERAGE, TOMCAT IS TAKING 17000 ms ON AVERAGE.
Maybe your tomcat just perform the job MUCH faster ;-)
The thread dump you posted in another reply indicates that your
tomcats are idling.
Do you have manager installed? NO. With manager you could monitor active
connections and requests.
Do you have probe installed? YES, WE HAVE IT INSTALLED. A LOT OF THREADS ARE IDLING IS WHAT
WE OBSERVE.
Finally, if you really want to profile your application, do you have
moskito installed? :-) (the one i initially wrote
-moskito.anotheria.net, therefore the shameless advertisement). :-) SURE WILL GIVE IT A TRY
[TIME PERMITTING].

In the last case I can offer you to provide support getting it running. WILL LET YOU KNOW
IF WE ARE INTERESTED. THANKS.

regards
Leon

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Talha Fazal <tfazal@credera.com> wrote:
> Plz. see my answers below in UPPERCAPS.
>
> Thanks!

OF TOMCAT ON EACH OF OUR TOMCAT SERVERS (2 SERVERS), THUS 2*3*30=180 maxThreads. WE EVEN INCREASED
THE maxThreads TO 120 FOR EACH INSTANCE (thus 120*6=720 maxThreads), AND MATCHED maxActive
IN JNDI RESOURCE TO 120, BUT WE STILL DIDN'T SEE CONSIDERABLE IMPROVEMENT. THE CPU USAGE INCREASED
FROM 7% to 10%.

> Which software are you using to produce the load? LOADRUNNER. Does it keepalive the connections?
YES.

> regards
> Leon
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Talha Fazal <tfazal@credera.com> wrote:
>> Background:
>>
>> We have a moderately high traffic web application (between 8 to 21 million hits/day)
running Apache to serve static content (also to load balance and create a DMZ) and Weblogic
to serve dynamic content (Struts 1.1 based Java web application).
>> We are trying to replace Weblogic with Tomcat and we have ported our code to work
with Tomcat. All works well in Tomcat in the DEV, QA, and STAGING environment as long as there
is no real load.

>> The Issue - Load Testing:
>>
>> In our staging environment for load testing, when we run the load test using 525
concurrent users, the app doesn't perform at all. The CPU usage (on Apache and Tomcat Servers)
hovers between 7% to 8%. The database server CPU usage is also between 4 and 5%.

>> Setup for Load Testing:
>>
>> We have setup 2 apache web servers (4 Quad Processors i.e. 16 CPUs each), 2 Tomcat
(version 6.0.29) servers (4 Quad Processors i.e. 16 CPUs each). Each server has 32 Gb ram.
We are using AJP 1.3 to connect Tomcat and Apache.

>> Mentioned below is the version information:
>> Apache Version 2.2.14 (with mod_jk module)
>> Tomcat: 6.0.29
>> Database: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bits
>> Connection Pool: DBCP.
>>
>> Mentioned below are connector settings in conf/server.xml:
>>
>>  <Connector
>>        address="stagingTCserver01"
>>        backlog="300"
>>        connectionTimeout="60000"
>>        enableLookups="false"
>>        maxPostSize="2097152"
>>        maxSpareThreads="10"
>>        maxThreads="30"
>>        minSpareThreads="5"
>>        port="8006"
>>        protocol="AJP/1.3"
>>        tcpNoDelay="true"
>>    />
>>
>> Mentioned below are the settings for JNDI resource configured in conf/context.xml:
>>
>>  <Resource
>>        name="jdbc/onlinedb"
>>        auth="Container"
>>        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>        driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>>        url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.12.10:1521:WEBDB"
>>        initialSize="1"
>>        maxActive="30"
>>        minIdle="1"
>>        maxIdle="5"
>>        maxWait="300000"
>>        poolPreparedStatements="true"
>>        maxOpenPreparedStatements="300"
>>        validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM BB_DUAL"
>>        testOnBorrow="true"
>>        validationInterval="10000"
>>        testWhileIdle="true"
>>    />
>>
>> JVM Parameters:
>>
>> -Xms512m -Xmx2048m
>> -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
>> -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/logs/WL2TC/app/
>> -verbose:gc -Xloggc:/logs/WL2TC/app/WL2TC_1-gc.log
>>
>> It must be noted that Weblogic setup performs very well using similar settings.
>>
>> Garbage Collection: While the load test is running, Garbage collection works just
fine i.e. Young GC occurring every 2-3 minutes and takes less than half a second. Full GC
occurs every hour and takes a little over 2 seconds.