tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Talha Fazal <tfa...@credera.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Performance Turning.
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:50:49 GMT
Plz. see my answers below in UPPERCAPS.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:rosenberg.leon@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 8:35 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat Performance Turning.

Hello Talha,

from a quick glance at your post, do you have the same 30 max threads
limit in weblogic? YES.
Because sending 525 users through 2x30=60 max threads seems a little
bottlenecky. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ON EACH TOMCAT SERVER, WE ARE RUNNING 3 INSTANCES OF
TOMCAT ON EACH OF OUR TOMCAT SERVERS (2 SERVERS), THUS 2*3*30=180 maxThreads. WE EVEN INCREASED
THE maxThreads TO 120 FOR EACH INSTANCE (thus 120*6=720 maxThreads), AND MATCHED maxActive
IN JNDI RESOURCE TO 120, BUT WE STILL DIDN'T SEE CONSIDERABLE IMPROVEMENT. THE CPU USAGE INCREASED
FROM 7% to 10%.

Which software are you using to produce the load? LOADRUNNER. Does it keepalive the connections?
YES.

regards
Leon

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Talha Fazal <tfazal@credera.com> wrote:
> Background:
>
> We have a moderately high traffic web application (between 8 to 21 million hits/day)
running Apache to serve static content (also to load balance and create a DMZ) and Weblogic
to serve dynamic content (Struts 1.1 based Java web application).
> We are trying to replace Weblogic with Tomcat and we have ported our code to work with
Tomcat. All works well in Tomcat in the DEV, QA, and STAGING environment as long as there
is no real load.

> The Issue - Load Testing:
>
> In our staging environment for load testing, when we run the load test using 525 concurrent
users, the app doesn't perform at all. The CPU usage (on Apache and Tomcat Servers) hovers
between 7% to 8%. The database server CPU usage is also between 4 and 5%.

> Setup for Load Testing:
>
> We have setup 2 apache web servers (4 Quad Processors i.e. 16 CPUs each), 2 Tomcat (version
6.0.29) servers (4 Quad Processors i.e. 16 CPUs each). Each server has 32 Gb ram. We are using
AJP 1.3 to connect Tomcat and Apache.

> Mentioned below is the version information:
> Apache Version 2.2.14 (with mod_jk module)
> Tomcat: 6.0.29
> Database: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bits
> Connection Pool: DBCP.
>
> Mentioned below are connector settings in conf/server.xml:
>
>  <Connector
>        address="stagingTCserver01"
>        backlog="300"
>        connectionTimeout="60000"
>        enableLookups="false"
>        maxPostSize="2097152"
>        maxSpareThreads="10"
>        maxThreads="30"
>        minSpareThreads="5"
>        port="8006"
>        protocol="AJP/1.3"
>        tcpNoDelay="true"
>    />
>
> Mentioned below are the settings for JNDI resource configured in conf/context.xml:
>
>  <Resource
>        name="jdbc/onlinedb"
>        auth="Container"
>        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>        driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>        url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.12.10:1521:WEBDB"
>        initialSize="1"
>        maxActive="30"
>        minIdle="1"
>        maxIdle="5"
>        maxWait="300000"
>        poolPreparedStatements="true"
>        maxOpenPreparedStatements="300"
>        validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM BB_DUAL"
>        testOnBorrow="true"
>        validationInterval="10000"
>        testWhileIdle="true"
>    />
>
> JVM Parameters:
>
> -Xms512m -Xmx2048m
> -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
> -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/logs/WL2TC/app/
> -verbose:gc -Xloggc:/logs/WL2TC/app/WL2TC_1-gc.log
>
> It must be noted that Weblogic setup performs very well using similar settings.
>
> Garbage Collection: While the load test is running, Garbage collection works just fine
i.e. Young GC occurring every 2-3 minutes and takes less than half a second. Full GC occurs
every hour and takes a little over 2 seconds.