tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Russ Michaels <r...@michaels.me.uk>
Subject Re: tomcat manager not working
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:54:24 GMT
ok I have completely deleted the maxyexpress vhost as it is not needed anyway.
restarted Apache
still the same issue i'm afraid.

I think all the vhosts need webapps as the appbase for Railo, as this
is how it is on all my other installs as well.

here is the exact error if it helps.

HTTP Status 404 - /manager/html

type Status report

message /manager/html

description The requested resource (/manager/html) is not available.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.32

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Russ Michaels wrote:
>>
>> thanks for the replies guys.
>>
>> just to clarify I do not have any issues with virtual hosts they work
>> fine, my only problem is getting the Tomcat Admin running on
>> localhost:8888, this is the only thing not working right now.
>>
>> As I mentioned before
>> under webapps I have 4 folders
>> docs
>> host-manager
>> manager
>> root
>>
>> and I have compared the contents of these folders to other working
>> installs and they are the same.
>>
>> C:\Railo\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost
>> also exists and also contains the same files as other working installs
>> and as per mark's email
>>
>> so just to confirm
>> localhost:8888/index.jsp works
>> I get the tomcat homepage
>> but the manager and status pages give a 404
>>

> Allright, but what I meant was this :
> In your original configuration, you have 2 <Host> tags, thus 2 VirtualHosts,
> both sharing the same (tomcat_dir)/webapps application directory.
> If the configuration of these 2 <Host> tags were identical, both with the
> "autoDeploy" attribute true, then when starting, Tomcat would deploy each
> application under (tomcat_dir)/webapps twice (once for each Host).
> But, in your original configuration, it seems that the second Host does not
> have this attribute set (nor "unpackWars"). Thus for this Host, the
> applications under webapps (including the manager) may not be auto-deployed,
> and not be available.
>
> In any case, you are trying to debug an issue, and for that a usual strategy
> is to try to simplify the configuration, to make it easier to find the real
> issue and not being sidetracked.
>
> So what I would do in this case, unless you have a real use for a separate
> "localhost" Host, is this :
> - comment out the second virtual Host.
> - optionally(*), in the first "localhost" virtual Host, add 2 Alias tags :
>  <Alias>www.maxyexpress.co.uk</Alias>
>  <Alias>maxyexpress.co.uk</Alias>
> So now the same Host will be used, no matter if you access the server via
> http://localhost or http://(one of the above), and the applications will be
> started (or not) only once.
>
> then restart Tomcat and let's see what happens.
>
> Then if that works, you can try to re-introduce the second Host and its
> manager app step-by-step and see at what point it stops working.
>

> (*) optionally in this case, because the Host "localhost" is the default one
> anyway, and will server all requests if there are no other Host.
> The Alias-es here just make things clearer documentation-wise.
>
> The point is : the standard Apache Tomcat, downloaded and installed from the
> standard Apache Tomcat website, works, including the manager application.
> Now you have a configuration created by "railo" (which I do not know), and
> in that version something is not working.
> [...]

Russ Michaels

www.bluethunderinternet.com  : Business hosting services & solutions
www.cfmldeveloper.com        : ColdFusion developer community
www.michaels.me.uk           : my blog
www.cfsearch.com             : ColdFusion search engine

skype me                     : russmichaels