tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Russ Michaels <r...@michaels.me.uk>
Subject Re: tomcat manager not working
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 22:35:41 GMT
no Andre, I did mean the Railo list, that was not directed at you or
anyone else here, you have been perfectly helpful so far.



On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Russ Michaels wrote:
>>
>> For some reason some of the folks on the Railo list seem to have got
>> quite aggressive toward me due to my wording in my original post where
>> I said.
>
> ...
>
> I suppose that above, you mean the Tomcat list.
> And I regret if I in particular may have sounded aggressive, that was not
> the purpose of my "sermon".
>
> I was only trying to explain that, this being a Tomcat list, most of the
> people may not know anything about Railo (I certainly don't), and not have
> any idea about what it does to Tomcat or its configuration files, and hence
> not have any initial idea what the real source of the problem could be.
> We also have no direct access to your Tomcat host, so we cannot just browse
> around and try to figure out what's wrong by ourselves.
>
> In other words, we are really trying to help, but from a difficult starting
> point.
> We are blind and paralytic, and you are our eyes and hands. If you want us
> to be able to help, you have to do precisely what we tell you to do, and
> tell us precisely what you see.  Otherwise there is no way we can figure it
> out, and we will have to send you back to the Railo list. (Not because we
> are mean or unhelpful, but because we have no clue).
>
> What we should normally tell you to do, is to install another Tomcat from
> the Tomcat website, try it and see if the manager app works.  Then if it
> does, let you compare /these/ two configurations and figure out the
> differences by yourself.
> But we are not going to do that quite yet because we like challenges, so
>
> We would like you to start from a point which we may know about a bit better
> (a "more standard" Tomcat configuration), without asking you to undo
> everything and start clean. Then we will see if with such a configuration
> the manager works (like it does in the "real standard" configuration which
> the normal Tomcat installer sets up). And then, gradually, get back to your
> current configuration where it /seems/ not to work.
> We are hoping to be able to spot what change makes it suddenly not work as
> expected, or even if with this more basic configuration it does not work.
>
> Right now :
> - we don't know which version of Tomcat you are running
> - we don't know if the Railo installer installs a full Tomcat, including a
> manager app or not, and we don't know what configuration changes it makes
> compared to a standard Tomcat.
> - we are supposing that when you issue your URL calls, it is from a browser
> running on the same host as the one where you have Tomcat and Railo
> installed
> - we are supposing that on your host, the name "localhost" is really
> equivalent to the IP address 127.0.0.1
> - after your 10th post or so, we have learned that you had 2 <Host> tags in
> the server.xml, sharing apparently the same "webapps" dir. We don't really
> know where that comes from (the standard Tomcat install configures just one
> Host), not if it matters here.
> - we also know that after you ran the Railo installer, you also ran
> something else which we do not know either, and then you made some more
> changes back and forth manually to the configuration.  That does not clarify
> the situation for us.
> - we do not know the top path of your Tomcat installation (thus we do not
> know really where the "webapps" dir is located)
>
> But
>
> - We know that you are getting an HTTP error 404 when you try to access
> "http://localhost:8888/manager/html". So we know that a Tomcat is running,
> but it is not finding that page where it expects to find it.
>
> At some point you have told us that, under your "webapps" directory, you
> have the following sub-directories :
> docs
> host-manager
> manager
> root
>
> The sub-directory "root" above should be "ROOT" uppercase.  It matters
> greatly, even under Windows.
> Because if it is really "root" like you wrote, then in principle the URL
> which you say is working (http://localhost:8888/index.jsp), should not be
> working.
> And if it is really "root", then it means that either the Railo installer is
> broken, or you have somehow renamed that directory, or copied it from
> somewhere else without paying attention to case.
>
> So please :
> 1) tell us the full path of the top Tomcat installation directory, amd its
> version if you know it
> 2) stop Tomcat (telling us how you do that)
> 3) rename the above "webapps/root" directory to "webapps/ROOT" if necessary
> 4) in your (tomcat_dir)/conf/server.xml, delete or comment out the second
> <Host>...</Host> section, leaving only the Host named "localhost"
> 5) restart Tomcat (telling us how you do that) and wait 10 sec.
> 6) from a browser on the same host, access "http://localhost:8888", and then
> redo the same again while pressing "shift" and the "reload" icon.
> If what you see is a page with a Tomcat logo and a menu on the left, then
> it's fine. Otherwise, tell us what page you do see.
> 7) if the page above worked fine, then click on the "Tomcat Manager" link in
> that menu and tell us what happens. (You should normally get an
> authentication dialog).
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>



-- 
--

Russ Michaels

www.bluethunderinternet.com  : Business hosting services & solutions
www.cfmldeveloper.com        : ColdFusion developer community
www.michaels.me.uk           : my blog
www.cfsearch.com             : ColdFusion search engine

skype me                     : russmichaels

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message