tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Performance for many small requests
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:42:25 GMT
> From: David Kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Performance for many small requests

> Then why shouldn't I just double my heap size?  Wouldn't
> that eliminate the risk of increased cache misses?

As Darius stated, this part of the discussion is probably completely irrelevant to any performance
issues you have.

Regardless, doubling the heap size will likely _increase_ the cache misses, since you now
have a larger target space being accessed through a fixed size cache space.  This level of
refinement is a real juggling act; unless your cores are staying very busy, it's unlikely
to have any measurable effect.

You need to collect more data so you can start ruling out causes, and GC information is probably
the easiest to start with.

 - Chuck