tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Performance Turning.
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:42:19 GMT
> From: Talha Fazal [mailto:tfazal@credera.com]
> Subject: Tomcat Performance Turning.

> In our staging environment for load testing, when we run the load
> test using 525 concurrent users, the app doesn't perform at all.
> The CPU usage (on Apache and Tomcat Servers) hovers between 7% to
> 8%. The database server CPU usage is also between 4 and 5%.

Since your CPU usage is low, your threads must be waiting for something.  Take several thread
dumps and find out what.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

(I'll guess maxThreads and data base connections; a max of 30 seems a bit low for 525 concurrent
requests.)

> validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM BB_DUAL"

Most DBs provide a very simple ping-like request capability; that would be preferable to a
select.

> -Xms512m -Xmx2048m

In a server environment, one normally sets Xms and Xmx to the same value to avoid heap thrashing.
 However, this is unrelated to your current problem.

 - Chuck