tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael-O <>
Subject Re: default realm set to JAASRealm in StandardEngine
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:54:39 GMT

Christopher Schultz schrieb:
> Mike,
> On 9/21/2011 3:52 AM, wrote:
>> I have removed the MemoryRealm from my server.xml in Tomcat 6.0.33
>> and noticed that the StandardEngine creates a JAASRealm [1]:
>> 21.09.2011 09:14:58 org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm
>> setContainer INFO: Set JAAS app name Catalina
>> What is the reasoning behind this?
> Maybe it's easier and safer to have a dummy Realm than no realm at all.

I don't consider the JAASRealm as a dummy realm. Maybe a NonRealm like
NonAuthenticator would make sense.

>> I assume that any app will fail because I have never configured the
>> JAAS config file.
> If you never use authentication, I suspect you won't fail.
> Have you actually tried it?

No, I did not yet but will do tomorrow and will report back. I guess it
will when an app needs authentication because at least the loginConf
"Catalina" won't be found.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message