tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: websphere 7.0 JAXWS webservice deployed in tomcat 6.0.32 not working
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:53:16 GMT

On 9/20/2011 11:15 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> I have a JAXWS webservice developed in WebSphere 7.0.  It is
> working there. The stack in Websphere is Axis2.0
> I wrote a POJO Java class, annotated with the @WebService
> annotation and then I did a wsgen to generate the necessary
> artifacts and created the war file.
> The imp thing is that web.xml does NOT have any servlets in it or
> listeners defined.

Tomcat only implements the servlet specification, so if you want to
deploy web services, you're going to have to find a way to get that
going using a helper library -- like Axis.

> However when I deploy that war file to Tomcat 6.0.32 and then copy
> the axis2 jars to the WEB-INF\lib folder.

Axis needs a servlet to be mapped in order to serve requests to your
web services.

> When I restart Tomcat, the WebService does not work.
> What I am curious is, how come Websphere7,  deploys the WebService
> on startup without any entires in web.xml but Tomcat refuses to do
> so ?

Websphere is a J2EE application server while Tomcat is a servlet
container "only". Maybe you want to look into using JBoss or Apache
Geronimo if you need more than servlet-based services.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: