tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Links in CSS vs JSPs
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 22:06:18 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> On 9/18/2011 12:55 PM, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>> All the skins work except image references in the style sheet (css)
>>  cannot be found. Yet images referenced in the jsps are found!
>
> Your JSPs are dynamic and include the webapp prefix, since you
> (evidently) properly prefixed and encoded your URLs (good for you).
> Your CSS files are not dynamic and, unless you put the prefixes on
> there, your images will not be found. Note that any included CSS files
> will also not be found (i.e. CSS includes CSS) for the same reason.
>
>> Is there a hard and fast rule here I’m missing. What’s best
>> practice ?
>
> I dunno about best practice, but we do what you are doing: put the
> webapp prefix into the CSS files and don't forget to change it if you
> re-locate the webapp to another prefix (which pretty much never happens).
>
> There are other options that I can think of off the top of my head:
>
> 1. Use the HTML <base /> tag to set the base URL in your dynamic pages.
>    Any relative URLs will be relative to that base. This may ruin
>    the URLs that you have carefully and properly prefixed and escaped
>    in your JSPs, but it's an option.
>
> 2. Make your CSS files dynamic: have Tomcat serve them and perform the
>    context-path translation on the fly.
>
> 3. Use server-side content filtering for .css files. This is roughly
>    the same as #2 except that you would use a simpler string-replace
>    mechanism instead of a fully-dynamic content-generation technology
>    (such as JSP, etc.).
>
> 4. Write a bunch of URL rewrite rules that match the CSS/image files
>    that you know aren't in the "right" place. This is going to be
>    a pain in the neck.

And any of the above will cause problems if you want to give your app to a graphic
designer, who will move these pages to his workstation and try to work on them.

> I'm sure there are other options.

What I do not understand here (maybe due to my lack of knowledge of JSP pages logic) is
why one would need to "fix" anything, if the links are correctly spelled-out in the first

place, taking into account how a browser handles absolute/relative links.

e.g. imagine this structure :

(catalina_base)/webapps/
                        myapp/ (contains *.JSP pages)
                             /images/ (contains images)
                             /css/ (contains stylesheets)

If the JSP pages contain links to stylesheets located in "myapp/css", their reference
should say : href(or src)="css/name-of-stylesheet.css"
If the css files in turn contain links to images, they can be expressed as :
src="../images/some-image.jpg"
And so on.
If you then move "en block" the whole "myapp" somewhere else, all links should keep
working just fine.

Or does something there not work in a webapp/JSP context ?