tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Using calendar .ics files over Tomcat 5.5
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:20:03 GMT
Right.
There should be some setting/parameter corresponding to the Thunderbird plugin, which
indicates /how/ it is trying to write files to the server.
In Options..Advanced..Config Editor ?
I find some traces there in my Thunderbird setup, of parameters starting with
"SyncKolab".. (That may be something else though)

The point which several people were trying to make here is :
Any "sane" webserver setup will never allow a user to /upload/ files to the server, just
by specifying their URL. That is because it is potentially a very big security hole.
(One generally does not want the first miscreant around to deface one's server by loading

his own pages or applications)

It is /possible/ to allow this (and there are even special HTTP commands to do that), but

you need to add something to the server, in terms of additional modules to handle such
uploads, and a special (and careful) configuration to go with it.
It is not sufficient to just put the files somewhere where they can be seen and retrieved

by a browser, and make them writeable.  Thankfully.
(Note that all this is not specific to Tomcat. Any reasonable webserver is like that.)

One such fairly standard server add-on, in the case of Tomcat, is the DAV application. It

is available on the Tomcat website, but not as part of the standard download (I think),
and it is certainly not installed by default.

It is not the only way, and maybe this particular plugin expects the webserver to run an
application which comes along with the plugin.  But again, you'd need to install it on the

server, it will not be there by default.

In any case, one would expect, either in the plugin documentation or in the parameters
somwhere on the client, to find a hint as to how the file upload to the server is supposed

to happen.