tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer anomaly Question
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:09:31 GMT
On 15/09/2011 16:18, Shanti Suresh wrote:
> All,
>
> I am trying to understand some anomaly with mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer.  mod_proxy
works fine if the (reverse)Proxying is done to the local Tomcat Engine rather than going through
the balancer.  If it goes through the "balancer", then an extra "/" is added on 302 Redirects
after the hostname in URLs.  Adding "ProxyPreserveHost On" gets the proper 302 Redirects without
the extra "/".

> Short of reading source code, I was hoping someone can explain the:
> (1) purpose of "ProxyPreserveHost On"  ->  It is to pass the "Host" header from the
incoming request onto Tomcat
> (2) Does "ProxyPreserveHost" have any implication on the "Location:" Header going out
in 302 responses?
> (3) I thought the "ProxyPassReverse" directive was used for setting (rewriting) the "Location:"
header in the 302 responses.
> (4) How does Tomcat work without "ProxyPreserveHost On" when requests don't go through
the balancer?

Please start an entirely new email thread.

Replying to an existing thread, just editing subject & body, is called
thread-hijacking and makes your message appear in the middle of another
conversation in threaded mail readers.