tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 7.0.21: bug in RemoteAddrValve?
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:01:36 GMT
Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 17:28, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>> Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> [...]
>>>    <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
>>>        allow="127\.0\.0\.1|::1"/>
> [...]
>> Maybe try to modify that regexp somewhat, like to
>> allow="(127\.0\.0\.1)|(::1)"
>> or
>> allow="127\.0\.0\.1|\:\:1"
>> just in case the regexp library version changed, and it now interprets the
>> original expression slightly differently ?
>
> Nope... I also tried 127\.0\.0\.1 alone and no dice.
>
> I'll try your two other suggestions but if any works, it means the
> regex engine used is seriously buggy!
>
>> Could it also be that previously, Tomcat saw an IPv4 address and it worked,
>> but now it sees an IPv6 address and the "::1" part in fact never worked, but
>> was never used before ?
>>

> The machine has IPv4 only. I just put in the ::1 in prevision of a not
> so distant future...
>
> But maybe it is some other part of the configuration (server.xml?
> default context.xml?) which needs to be changed?

Not that I know of.  As far as I know, the <Valve> element can be placed inside of the

Manager's context.xml, and should then affect only the Manager app.
And it worked before, didn't it ?

Plus, you say that you are getting a 403 error.  If the <Valve> was being ignored, I

believe you would not get that error. So it looks like the Valve gets triggered, but it
finds a Remote address other than 127.0.0.1.

Now sorry to ask, but you /are/ connecting to Tomcat from the same host as the Tomcat
host, are you ? without any front-end in front of Tomcat ?

Also, isn't there anything in the logs ?