tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7.0.19 character encoding issue with JSP
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:58:24 GMT
On 01/09/2011 03:41, David Wall wrote:
> I'm trying to track down a character encoding issue that I've been
> having, but don't really understand. Hopefully one of you will know what
> the answer is.

I suspect you need:
<%@ page pageEncoding="UTF-8" %>
at the start of your JSP.

.java files are written using UTF-8 by default so if what you see there
is wrong then the original .jsp file was read with the wrong encoding.

Tomcat determines the encoding based on a number of factors. For the
details see line 326 onwards of

The short version is if it is XML, it uses the encoding defined in the
XML doc, if it isn't XML it uses the value of pageEncoding. The
fall-back is ISO-8859-1.

> <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=utf-8" session="true"
> isELIgnored="true" %>

You'll still need this to tell the browser to use UTF-8 to display the data.

> So I figured it was the default character encoding of the JVM causing me
> some grief. I checked and the default on my Windows PC is Cp1252. But
> when I change this with the JVM argument -Dfile.encoding=UTF8, I am no
> better off.

That is expected. file.encoding is not always read/write and should
never be relied upon to fix any encoding problems.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message