tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Darius D." <darius....@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Performance for many small requests
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 17:15:38 GMT

n828cl wrote:

>> From: Darius D. [mailto:darius.ski@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Performance for many small requests
>
>> in my opinion using 64bit JVM with such a small
>> heap is only needed if performance testing shows
>> gains versus 32bit JVM.
>
> The main advantage of using a 64-bit JVM is the increased number of
> registers available in the x86-64 architecture, which can result in vastly
> reduced memory references.  Whether or not that's important to overall
> performance is highly dependent on the application, of course.

Yeah, but I'd err on 32bit JVM side :) Gains from more registers are very
specific, but penalty from increased cache/TLB misses is big, and if you
start hitting hard page faults ( that would have been avoidable due to lower
heap size with 32bit JVM ) - even one of those will erase all gains :)

There are reasons why Linux and other stuff is shipped compiled optimized
for size, not with some fancy -O666 option.