tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: problem configuring tomcat7 in ubuntu 10.04
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:02:21 GMT
----- Original Message -----

This really depends on what you want to accomplish. From your original mail message, I'm guessing
that you might want to learn about running Tomcat and writing Java web applications on Ubuntu.

If that's your goal, then I find the easiest way to do things (on Fedora Linux at any rate)
is the following:

1. Grab the latest version (currently 7.0.21) from tomcat.apache.org

2. Untar it in a directory controlled by your user

I normally create a directory called Apache or Servers in my home directory, and then place
all of my servers underneath that. I can then organize multiple versions, clusters, virtual
hosts, etc. without making too much of a mess.

Now you can read RUNNING.txt in the directory where you unpacked the Tomcat distribution.
However, to get you started . . . .

3. Set $JRE_HOME to point to your Java JRE installation

4. Switch to $CATALINA_HOME/bin and type ./startup.sh

$CATALINA_HOME is where you unpacked the distribution in step 2 above.

5. Open a browser to http://localhost:8080

You should see the Tomcat welcome page at this point.

Before you can implement new web applications, you'll probably find it easier to set up the
management application. Read the documentation on your running Tomcat on how to do that. The
URL for that would be:

http://localhost:8080/docs/manager-howto.html

The link is on the welcome page of your running Tomcat.

6. When you're done, stop Tomcat with $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh

In the above, I'm assuming you're using the command line to maneuver around Ubuntu. I suppose
you can accomplish the same via the GUI, but I have no idea how the new Unity interface works.

Setting up Tomcat in a directory you control solves a lot of potential permissions problems.
It's easier to edit $CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml without having to sudo every time.
It's also easier to start/stop Tomcat and integrate it with an IDE if the installation is
in a directory you control.

You'll find out that Linux permissions are quite a bit different than Windows permissions.
It's best not to go cluttering up your system with user files (or relaxing permissions in
system directories) until you become more comfortable with the way Linux works.

Hopefully that will be enough to get you started. Next up, looking at version control (rcs
for simple Tomcat configuration files, git or svn for projects), and an IDE (NetBeans or Eclipse)
is probably in order.

After that, you can look at running a different copy of Tomcat as a service, and integrating
it with Apache HTTPD.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/