tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Trying to get 2 instances of Tomcat 6.0.x (Red Hat) to work (each having their own lib directories)...
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:00:46 GMT
----- Original Message -----

I'll take a stab at your question. However a few caveats are in order.

1. I run Fedora, not RedHat
2. I use Tomcat downloaded from Apache, not the distribution's version

That being said, there's a short explanation on how to do this in RUNNING.txt. Look under
the heading:

Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat Instances

Normally this document is in $CATALINA_HOME. However the packaged version may have put the
document under /usr/share/doc/tomcat6 or something similar.

In general, the steps are as follows.

1. Create a copy of the original Tomcat directory structure (in $CATALINA_HOME) for each
   desired Tomcat.

2. Copy tomcat-juli.jar from $CATALINA_HOME/bin to each new directory structure's bin
   directory ($CATALINA_BASE/bin)

3. Copy all of $CATALINA_HOME/conf to $CATALINA_BASE/conf

4. Copy $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/manager to $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/manager if the manager
   application is desired

5. Make all of your configuration edits to files in $CATALINA_BASE/conf

Make any modifications to the lib directory (for example, adding JDBC drivers) to $CATALINA_BASE/lib.
Tomcat will load jars and classes from $CATALINA_BASE/lib first, then $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

To start the new Tomcats, set $CATALINA_HOME to your default Tomcat installation, $CATALINA_BASE
to your copy as set up above, and then run $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh (the file in the
original installation). Since you've set $CATALINA_BASE, paths will be set accordingly.

Here are some more notes concerning how to do this.

1. Create the copy

When you're done, the directory structure should look like this:

/usr/tomcat/test1 ($CATALINA_BASE)
                bin
                conf
                    Catalina
                        localhost
                lib
                logs
                temp
                webapps
                work

(similarly for test2)

2. Copy tomcat-juli.jar to $CATALINA_BASE/bin

You may want to create a setenv.sh in $CATALINA_BASE/bin. This should contain all interesting
options such as JAVA_OPTS, CATALINA_OPTS, any environment variables, and JMX setup. Do not
modify $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh or $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh.

3. Copy all of the $CATALINA_HOME/conf files to $CATALINA_BASE/conf

You will need to edit the $CATALINA_BASE/conf files. Minimally you will need to do the following:

a. Ensure that the Server shutdown port in server.xml is unique
b. Ensure that all Connector ports in server.xml are unique

You'll probably want to enable the manager application, so make sure to edit
tomcat-users.xml appropriately.

To launch all of this, you'll need a shell script. Something like the following is quick and
dirty.

#!/bin/bash
$CATALINA_HOME=/usr/tomcat

#
# test1
#
( export $CATALINA_BASE=$CATALINA_HOME/test1; $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh )
sleep 5
#
# test2
#
(export $CATALINA_BASE=$CATALINA_HOME/test2; $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh )

Shutting down follows the same pattern. Just substitute shutdown.sh for startup.sh.

Integrating this into /etc/rc.d, system-config-services, or systemd is left as an exercise
for the reader.

You may have some SELinux issues as well, although since your $CATALINA_BASE directories are
under $CATALINA_HOME, maybe not.

As a final note, I wouldn't recommend putting a $CATALINA_BASE installation under $CATALINA_HOME.
Depending on how the RPM update works, you may actually wipe out your $CATALINA_BASE installations.
This is speculation, since I don't use the RPM distribution of Tomcat.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/