tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <bob.dere...@thingworx.com>
Subject HOW TO: re-deploy or undeploy a webapp when additional files are added after initial deployment
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:49:49 GMT
I'm running Tomcat 6.0.32 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I am running into a problem when managing our webapp via the Tomcat Manager App.  Specifically,
if I add any files to our WEB-INF/extension directory in the exploded WAR directory after
the initial deployment, an undeploy fails to completely remove our exploded webapp directory.
 It removes everything that was in the WAR, but leaves the manually added files.  In addition,
if we attempt to deploy a new WAR when this skeleton directory is left, the deploy says it's
successful, but doesn't explode the new WAR.

If anyone has any suggestions on how we can add files into the exploded webapp structure and
still perform undeploy/re-deploy of our webapp, I would greatly appreciate it.  Or, if there's
a way to tell tomcat to completely remove the directory - regardless of additional files/directories,
that would probably work, too.

The only other options I can think of would be installing these dynamic extensions outside
the webapp, but that's not ideal since some of these extensions will be HTML/CSS content and
we'd like to keep it all under the webapp root.

Thanks,

Bob DeRemer
Senior Director, Architecture and Development

http://www.thingworx.com<http://www.thingworx.com/>
Skype: bob.deremer
O: 717.505.7923
M: 717.881.3986