tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 7: Why is JDK needed ?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:10:05 GMT
> From: Bobi St [mailto:temporarybobi@yahoo.de]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7: Why is JDK needed ?

> it is obsolete in a way, because setting JAVA_HOME to JRE
> gives the message : "NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK
> not a JRE".

The message is correct as stated; when JAVA_HOME is used, it *must* point to a JDK.  If you
want a specific JRE, you must set JRE_HOME, not JAVA_HOME.  If you set neither JAVA_HOME nor
JRE_HOME, the startup scripts try to find a JVM, and set one of the variables for you.

> Why not only to set JRE_HOME ?!?

Sorry, I can't parse that question.

> Pointing at JDK from JAVA_HOME works however.

As it should.  Setting JRE_HOME to the location of a JRE also works.

> the messaging seems at least to me a little confusing.

Please explain why.  As far as I can see, you set JAVA_HOME to a JRE, which is invalid; once
you've done that, nothing useful can result.

 - Chuck