tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Janner <Jeffrey.Jan...@PolyDyne.com>
Subject RE: TC on Windows Server Core
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:00:47 GMT

I couldn't say exactly what the difference would be, but I would think there'd be a significant
reduction in disk requirements, and certainly in memory used.  You don't have any of that
GUI software even on the disk to try to run it, only the binaries required for the roles you
define for the server.  Might have some issues installing 3rd party software -- have to do
everything in silent mode with setup scripts.
As far as saving CPU cycles, how many does it really use keeping a login prompt up on the
screen 24/7?
Downside from a tomcat perspective that I can see, you miss out on the wonderful configuration
GUI from the Commons Daemon guys.  I've really grown to like that tool on my Windows platforms.

Overall, I can't see any reason Tomcat wouldn't run on it, but it might be extra work getting
it installed and set up.  But probably not much more than on Linux/Unix.

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or
telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.