tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Having difficulty suppressing the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester logger
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:58:14 GMT
Hi, I'm using Tomcat 7.0.14 on Ubuntu Linux and wanted to make the
logging in the logs/catalina.out file more detailed than INFO.  So I
adjusted the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/logging.properties file[1], adding this
entry near the top:

.level = FINE

and, sure enough, when I restarted Tomcat got all the [FINE] logging
messages in the catalina.out file.  All good there.

But I'm getting a ton of org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
logging that I *don't* want, such as the following:

Aug 30, 2011 3:39:29 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester characters
FINE: characters(
   )
Aug 30, 2011 3:39:29 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester characters
FINE: characters(
   )
Aug 30, 2011 3:39:29 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
startElement
FINE: startElement(,,Listener)
Aug 30, 2011 3:39:29 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
startElement
FINE:   Pushing body text '

So going back to the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/logging.properties file, I
added this entry in:

org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.level = INFO

But this is failing to suppress the above logging messages.  (I also
tried SEVERE with no success either.)

Is there something I'm doing wrong--how do I set the default logging
level to FINE *except* for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester?

Thanks,
Glen

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk/conf/logging.properties