tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: Conditional Branch from Servlet to URL - Continued
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:45:07 GMT
  On 1:59 PM, Donald Jolley wrote:
>> JSPs should be used for output with all processing (and, hopefully,
>> anything that can fail) having already been completed by the time the
>> JSP runs.
> That's a REALLY good point.  The JSP can be thought of as simply bieing a
> view with all (or most) of the heavy lifting done elsewhere.  Within the
> limited context of handling errors, I think that your point would be
> compelling.  However, I can think of many other uses one could make of a
> capability to forward from a JSP.  I'm sure that there are even more uses
> that haven't occurred to me.  It would just be a real nice capability to
> have available.  Accordingly, I would like to play around with it a bit.
> I've learned a lot from what I have done so far; and, if nothing else I'm
> sure the exercise wiill provide a great learning experience.
>
> I'm sure that I'll be running into difficulty and posting.  However, I think
> that the issue that I have raised in this thread has been solved.  If (more
> like when) I have other problems I will post in a new thread.  Thanks to all
> for all of the great help that I received in this thread.
>
>          ... doug

Hi, Donald-

You might also want to consider using the isErrorPage=”true|false” and
possibly the errorPage=”error_url” attributes of the JSP page directive
for error handling. However, I would still agree with Chris's
recommendation that all processing that might generate an error be
completed before any output is generated.

-Terence Bandoian