tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Mayr <ste...@mayr-stefan.de>
Subject Re: TC on Windows Server Core
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:55:20 GMT
Am 24.08.2011 23:01, schrieb André Warnier:
> David kerber wrote:
>> Will TC run on a Windows Server Core installation? For those of you
>> not familiar with that term, it's a windows server installation with
>> no GUI, and minimal other pieces. The idea is a reduced disk, memory
>> and cpu footprint (rather Unix/Linux like).
>>
> One might be forgiven if one were to wonder why one would then not use a
> perfectly serviceable minimal Linux base then, no ?
> Once you take away the GUI, what is left that is so compelling about
> Windows Server ?

I would say the very same reasons apply
- reduced ressource utilization
- less vulnerable
- best tool for the job (if windows is your everyday OS)

Not your favourite OS? s/windows/os_your_favorite_os/g. If you can
afford it there is an unlimited freedom of choice - but I guess this is
not the right list for os flame wars.

Back to your question. I recommend to read
http://blogs.technet.com/b/jorke/archive/2008/09/17/cat-power-tomcat-on-server-2008-core-with-iis7.aspx

. It is a bit dated but lists an ugly pitfall: MSVCR71.dll is required
but not included. (don't know if this still applies)

Also many 3rd party libraries use awt for some internal purpose and
expect a display (even on linux). So use java.awt.headless=true.

	Stefan