tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <>
Subject Re: path to application in parallel deployment
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:36:21 GMT

> So, if you could do this with code it would be:
>    getServletContext().getRealPath("/WEB-INF/classes/solr")
> Right?

> There isn't any system property for this kind of thing (since system
> properties are JVM-wide, and not specific to any particular webapp) so
> it would have to be, as you say, some kind of "magic" variable that
> you could use.

Are all properties JVM-wide? If I define a property in:

Then that property is available to all applications? I didn't know that. If that's the case,
then this approach will never work.

> I don't believe such a variable exists. Since Solr is servlet
> context-aware application (i.e. it *is* webapp), is it possible to
> give it a path relative to the webapp itself? You might want to ask
> the Solr folks about this.

Sure. I can try there next, but any such solution is going to involve changing Solr code.

> Another option, which I think is a better option, would be to locate
> solr/home outside of your deployment directory.

That is an option, but a very awkward one since then I have an application separated from
the configuration which is an integral part of its functionality. This isn't some JDBC connection
which differs in every deployment, but the configuration of exactly how the application works.
So being able to keep it in our SCM with the code and deploy together is essential.

Aristedes Maniatis

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message