tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5.28 on 64 bit windows server 2008.
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:24:41 GMT
Venkata Surapaneni wrote:
> We have a requirement to stick to 5.x version as of now. We tried using the latest version
of 5.5.x, but we encountered a issue. After installing the tomcat and if we check in the browser
as localhost, it is working fine. But if we try accessing using IP address, then the Tomcat
home page is not displayed. The result is same for all the versions later than 5.5.28. Not
sure what is causing this or what needs to be done to fix this. So we started using 5.5.28.

That sounds like a network misconfiguration issue or a misconfiguration within Tomcat's
server.xml, not a Tomcat problem per se.

1) download the latest version of Tomcat 5.5 and install it, even if it appears not to work
2) Note the exact problem carefully (including logfile message if any)
3) Remove all comments and sensitive information from the server.xml file, and copy and
paste it in your next message.
Repeat : copy and paste, do not send it as an attachment; the list strips most attachmnts.

The point : better to use a known "best version" of Tomcat, and fix what appears to be a
simple misconfiguration, rather than spending a lot of time looking for missing DLLs or
the like.