tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cache-Control headers not being added to secure requests
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:02:17 GMT

> Michael,
>
> On 8/16/2011 4:42 PM, Zampani, Michael wrote:
>> I don't understand why it was ever present, though.  Does anybody
>> know why you wouldn't want these headers on secure requests?
>
> The svn comment says "...to reduce the likelihood of issues when
> downloading files with IE.". Presumably, [MS]IE has "issues" with
> downloading files with those response headers.

Some versions of MSIE have problems downloading files depending on the
cache-control header. We've seen this with our course management system.
 From what I've seen IE doesn't download files, it caches them, then
copies them into place on the filesystem. But due to the cache control
headers, it couldn't copy the cached file because it wasn't allowed to,
causing trouble.