tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kampmann <kampm...@ibk-consult.de>
Subject Re: Stuck at making jsvc while installing tomcat
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:44:32 GMT
thnx Felix, this issue wasn't clear (from Tomcat-docs) - in the meantime
I solved the problem:
JAVA_HOME was set to a wrong value !! I fixed it and got jsvc :)
cheers
Jörg

Felix Schumacher wrote:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 14.08.2011, 14:48 +0200 schrieb kampmann:
>
>> Hi list, just got a similar error like
>>
>> ** Shen LI <geminialex007 () gmail ! com> <http://marc.info/?a=131234436000002&r=1&w=4>
>>
>> **I normally do not have any problem compiling packages etc.
>>
> can't help you there.
>
>> My question is therefore:
>>
>> as the doc's are not well understandable - this needs evidently some clarification:
>>
> You might help here, by pointing out, what you didn't understand. There
> is a lot of docucmentation.
>
>> for a simple tomcat-installation:
>>
>> is it necessary to have jsvc installed?
>>
> You only need jsvc, if you want to have tomcat listen directly to any
> port below 1024 - on unix at least.
>
> In that case jsvc will start as root and bind to the port. After that it
> will drop privileges and let tomcat continue.
>
> You don't need jsvc if you are willing to listen to a port higher than
> 1024, or put another server in front of tomcat - like apache httpd.
>
> Regards
>  Felix
>
>> tnx Jörg

IBK-Consult for Climate Physics and Real-Time IT - D-31228 Peine
+49-177-276-3140
www.ibk-consult.de
www.xing.com/go/invuid/Joerg_Kampmann
www.xing.com/hp/Joerg_Kampmann