tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <amania...@apache.org>
Subject Parallel deployment and session replication
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:38:47 GMT
I am an enthusiastic user of the new parallel deployment feature of tomcat 7. But I'm a little
unclear about how it interacts with session replication.

If I have a cluster of tomcat instances:

instance1/A#001.war
instance2/A#001.war
instance3/A#001.war

And they are all replicating sessions (say using SimpleTcpCluster). Then I want to upgrade,
so I introduce more war files:

instance1/A#001.war
instance1/A#002.war
instance2/A#001.war
instance2/A#002.war
instance3/A#001.war
instance3/A#002.war

Now, since these are effectively the same applications, they are all on the same multicast
address and port. So I assume that sessions will now replicate between all 6 instances.

* Will the old instances ever shut down? That is, will the sessions ever die on the old instances
if they are part of the session replication cluster?

* Is parallel deployment only designed to work with sticky sessions?

Thanks
Ari