tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bill Davidson <bill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "-d64" disappears from command line in "ps" output?
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:32:59 GMT
> 1) In what way does this concern Tomcat?

I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the way it was launched.

> 2) Documentation for -d64 with a standard launcher seems to indicate it's only applicable
for Solaris (although some other tools look at the setting before launching the JVM).

I don't see that:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/java.html

*-d32*
*-d64*
    Request that the program to be run in a 32-bit or 64-bit
    environment, respectively. If the requested environment is not
    installed or is not supported, an error is reported.

    Currently only the Java HotSpot Server VM supports 64-bit operation,
    and the "-server" option is implicit with the use of -d64. And the
    "-client" option is ignored with the use of -d64. This is subject to
    change in a future release.

    If neither*-d32*nor*-d64*is specified, the default is to run in a
    32-bit environment, except for 64-bit only systems. This is subject
    to change in a future release

I just now found this in the HotSpot FAQ:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/hotspotfaq-138619.html

"For consistency, the Java implementations on Linux accept the -d64 option."

Are you saying that the Linux64-bit Java is 64 bit only and therefore this
option is irrelevant?  If that is true, then the Java man page is
deficient and confusing.

> 3) What do you think -d64 does?

It runs the program in a 64-bit environment.  I've got my heap set to 3GB.
I was running out of memory with 2GB.  I may have to up it further in the
not too distant future.