tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Design Question
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:43:39 GMT
Mohit Anchlia wrote:
> We are developing a new system that will run in parallel with old
> system. So some requests will go to new system and some old based on
> configuration. We will put software switch software which will read
> configuration and the request and decide which system this will go to.
> This switch calls HttpClient Post calls using thread pools to send the
> request to other systems. One way is to put this code in Valve of
> existing system and invoke Http call if request is bound to the new
> system otherwise just call .invoke to the next in chain, is this the
> good way? I personally don't like it.
>
> What I like is separate switch servlet that receives the call and make
> Http calls to both system. This switch code will also have live thread
> to refresh it's cache from config file. This I think is more
> consistent and manageable.
>
> But I am looking for some advise from others as well.

Essentially thus, what you propose to create is reverse proxy code.
This sounds like something I would do using an Apache httpd front-end, which already has a

lot of machinery to inspect and direct requests to back-end systems.
Furthermore, this machinery is well-tested, widely used, and reliable.
There is more to proxying than just issuing HTTP Post calls (and GET's and HEAD's and
rewriting redirect headers and cookies and...).