tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Stuck at making jsvc while installing tomcat
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:01:44 GMT
Hi Jörg,

Am Sonntag, den 14.08.2011, 14:48 +0200 schrieb kampmann:
> Hi list, just got a similar error like
>
> ** Shen LI <geminialex007 () gmail ! com> <http://marc.info/?a=131234436000002&r=1&w=4>
>
> **I normally do not have any problem compiling packages etc.
can't help you there.

> My question is therefore:
>
> as the doc's are not well understandable - this needs evidently some clarification:
You might help here, by pointing out, what you didn't understand. There
is a lot of docucmentation.

> for a simple tomcat-installation:
>
> is it necessary to have jsvc installed?
You only need jsvc, if you want to have tomcat listen directly to any
port below 1024 - on unix at least.

In that case jsvc will start as root and bind to the port. After that it
will drop privileges and let tomcat continue.

You don't need jsvc if you are willing to listen to a port higher than
1024, or put another server in front of tomcat - like apache httpd.

Regards
 Felix