tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bobi St <temporaryb...@yahoo.de>
Subject RE: Tomcat 7: Why is JDK needed ?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:18:29 GMT

--- Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> schrieb am Mo, 1.8.2011:

> it is obsolete in a way, because setting JAVA_HOME to JRE
> gives the message : "NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK
> not a JRE".

The message is correct as stated; when JAVA_HOME is used, it *must* point to a JDK.  If you
want a specific JRE, you must set JRE_HOME, not JAVA_HOME.  If
::: Well, if JDK is not needed anymore, why bother setting JAVA_HOME, why is it mentioned
at all ?

> Why not only to set JRE_HOME ?!?

Sorry, I can't parse that question.

::: I meant, if JDK is not needed anymore, why at all mentioning JAVA_HOME ?

> the messaging seems at least to me a little confusing.

Please explain why.  As far as I can see, you set JAVA_HOME to a JRE, which is invalid; once
you've done that, nothing useful can result.

::: Its all about JDK, if JDK is not needed anymore, why at all mentioning JAVA_HOME to JDK
?