tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jeroen vannevel <jer_vanne...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Deploying emboss in Opal2
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:37:40 GMT

> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:21:05 +0200
> From: aw@ice-sa.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Deploying emboss in Opal2
>
> jeroen vannevel wrote:
> >

> >> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:04:37 +0200
> >> From: aw@ice-sa.com
> >> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: Deploying emboss in Opal2

the emboss programs available in this.
but after uploading this to Tomcat I just keep getting 'The requested r=

> >> It is possible that someone here would not the emboss application, but more
likely that
> >> they would not.  This is just a preliminary to ask : does the emboss program
have a
> >> mailing list, and did you ask there ?
> >>
> >> Other than that, it would help if you provide some additional details :
> >> - on what platform are you trying this ?
> >> - where (in what directory) is Tomcat installed ?
> >> - what is the path to the Tomcat "webapps" directory ?
> >> - what is the name of your .war file ?
> >> - how are you uploading your .war file to Tomcat ?
> >> - where does the .war file end up when it is uploaded ?
> >> - in the Tomcat configuration file ..(tomcat_dir)/conf/server.xml, there is
(at least) one
> >> <Host> tag.  Can you copy it here ?
> >>

> > They do, but I've just signed up there and I'm not sure if it's a very active one.
Figured I might as well test my luck and ask here.

> > As for additional information:
> >
> > - Ubuntu 11.04
> > - /home/myname/Downloads/apache-tomcat-5.5.33/
> > - /home/myname/Downloads/apache-tomcat-5.5.33/webapps/
> > - emboss.war
> > - using the built-in File-Upload menu in Tomcat's Manager. (so the 2nd option to
deploy an app)
> > - /home/myname/Downloads/apache-tomcat-5.5.33/webapps/emboss.war
> >
> > <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
> >        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
> >        xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
> >        <Alias>10.0.102.165</Alias>
> > </Host>
> >
> At first sight, that all looks good to me (except a detail irrelevant here)
> Next questions :
> - what is the URL you use, to try to access this application ?
> - what do the Tomcat logfiles say ?
>
> .. and, if the URL you used was not the same, what happens when you try to access :
> http://your-host-name[:port]/emboss
>

> And the irrelevant detail is :
> If the above <Host> tag is the only one which is contained in the server.xml file,
then
> the line
> <Alias>10.0.102.165</Alias>
> is unnecessary.  Tomcat will default to this Host anyway for all accesses.

The URL I use is http://localhost:8080/emboss, as you said it should be.
Perhaps it is of use to know that http://localhost:8080/opal2 does work and shows me the page
I expect there.

The logfiles from catalina.out when restarting the service and browsing to the emboss location:
http://pastebin.com/UUn2dxmD

I've used that Alias tag to try and get another program in opal2 to use this IP adress so
it would've been accessible from somewhere else in the network.
This failed, the application in opal2 (it was called Babel) kept linking to http://localhost
instead of the alias.
Not that it really matters, we didn't need that application and it was for testing purposes.